JEA names 2 as Friends of Scholastic Journalism

Two long-time supporters of student media will be honored Nov. 12 as a Friend of Scholastic Journalism by the Journalism Education Association at the JEA/NSPA Fall National High School Journalism Convention in Indianapolis.

This award is given to a professional journalist, professional media outlet or other individual or group making a significant contribution to scholastic journalism.

Steve Listopad of Jamestown, North Dakota, is an assistant professor of journalism and mass communication and student media director at Valley City State University in North Dakota. Listopad received the HMH Foundation’s First Amendment Award for Education for his work with students on crafting the John Wall New Voices Act of North Dakota.

“Steve’s strengths and passions are particularly evident when it comes to the protection of free speech,” wrote nominator Sue Skalicky, MJE, of Legacy High School in Bismarck, North Dakota. “Steve’s students at Jamestown College wrote a student free speech bill as a class assignment and that bill was eventually signed into law in April 2015. Both high school and college journalists now have fully protected speech in North Dakota.”

Rebecca Snyder of Baltimore, Maryland, is executive director of the Maryland-Delaware-DC Press Association. The organization serves more than 100 news organizations through legislative advocacy, industry recognition, professional development and promoting First Amendment issues.

She lobbied legislators and encouraged news media leaders to support the New Voices Maryland Act, which was signed into law April 26.

“Starting Oct. 1, the free press rights of students in Maryland will be protected for the first time in nearly 30 years,” wrote nominator Gary Clites, MJE, of Northern High School, Owings, Maryland. “That would not have happened without the untiring work and devotion to the ideals of press freedom that Rebecca Snyder committed to the cause.”

The Journalism Education Association is headquartered at Kansas State University. The nonprofit organization supports free and responsible scholastic journalism by providing resources and educational opportunities and by promoting professionalism in student media education and advising.