Outreach Academy is a Journalism Education Association initiative to promote diversity in the journalism teaching profession. The Outreach Academy is a free, intensive seminar for media advisers who need help teaching and advising students in journalism while dealing with issues surrounding diversity. The program is hands on and focuses on practical information advisers need. It includes discussions of teaching journalism to diverse populations, diversifying school coverage, engaging your staff and school community, and understanding the resources and organizations ready to help advisers. Advisers are eligible to apply for the Outreach Academy if they meet both of the following criteria:
- have five years or fewer advising experience, and
- teach in schools traditionally under-represented in JEA membership, especially low-income, urban and rural schools, or are advisers of color.
The Outreach Academy takes place in locations hosting the National High School Journalism Convention. The academy has a training seminar on the Thursday before the respective convention.
To apply to be part of the Outreach Academy, please fill out the form here.
Orlando Outreach Academy
Application Deadline: Oct. 14, 2020
Time/Date: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Thursday, Nov. 19, 2020
Location: World Center Marriott
Seattle Outreach Academy
Application Deadline: March 10, 2021
Time/Date: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Thursday, April 8, 2021
Location: Sheraton Grand and Westin
Participants who are accepted to the Outreach Academy and attend the Thursday workshop earn the following benefits, in addition to the instruction received at the workshop:
- Up to $100 in substitute pay upon invoice from the participant's school for the Thursday workshop.
- One day parking reimbursement for the Thursday workshop.
- One year's membership to the Journalism Education Association.
- Waived registration fee (for the participating adviser only) to that city's National High School Journalism Convention, courtesy of JEA and its convention partner, the National Scholastic Press Association.
- Waived registration fee to the following summer's Advisers Institute.