JEA selects Lindsay Porter as assistant director

The Journalism Education Association has hired Lindsay Porter as assistant director.

Porter’s career path has built a resume that meets the needs of JEA’s newly created position – assistant director. With the pending retirement of longtime awards and convention coordinator, Connie Fulkerson, the organization’s staff structure was looking toward change. Bringing the task of communication fully under headquarters was a strategic plan to better serve association members. Porter will serve JEA as the communication coordinator and convention programmer.

“As the needs of our association continually change, JEA leaders have worked hard to create a vision for how we meet those needs in the future,” JEA Executive Director Kelly Glasscock, CJE, said. “While we could never replace Connie, we found the right fit with Lindsay Porter.”

Porter has the skills needed to build the convention program, design communication materials and operate all social media platforms.

JEA President Sarah Nichols, MJE, said, “Lindsay brings a fantastic blend of communications and design experience mixed with a foundational understanding of what JEA is all about. Her past ties to the organization will be a huge asset as she dives in this fall to help strengthen and expand the ways JEA communicates with members, partners and new audiences.”

As a former scholastic journalism educator, Porter understands the daily challenges of a student media program. Expanding the organizational capacity of JEA’s core staff functions will translate into greater support for teachers and their students.

“I can’t wait to start a new chapter with JEA,” Porter said. “The assistant director position builds on my strengths and provides a great opportunity for growth — both for myself and for JEA. As a former JEA intern and high school journalism teacher, JEA headquarters staff and the JEA community were instrumental in my professional development, and I’m excited to start serving members and promoting scholastic journalism.”

Porter will begin her assistant director duties Aug. 10, 2020, but will be visible April 16-18 at the JEA/NSPA Spring National High School Journalism Convention in Nashville, Tennessee. She also will work with Fulkerson to ensure a smooth transition.

“The search for JEA’s new assistant director drew interest from candidates from around the country,” Glasscock, said. “After fully examining the rich pool of applicants, and conducting both virtual and in-person interviews, the committee unanimously chose Porter for her unique mix of experiences and familiarity with our community.”

The Journalism Education Association, founded in 1924 and the largest journalism education association in the nation, is headquartered at Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kansas. The nonprofit organization supports free and responsible scholastic journalism by providing resources and educational opportunities and by promoting professionalism in student media education and advising.