Partner Project schools announced for 2020-21 program

Partner Project

By Val Kibler, MJE

The Journalism Education Association has named six 2020-21 Partner Project schools.

This year’s recipients include:

• Rio Rancho High School, Rio Rancho, New Mexico (Carli Pacheco, adviser)
  • Girls Leadership Academy of Arizona, Phoenix (Terry Poorten, adviser)
  • Valley High School, Las Vegas (Kelly Pedrick, adviser)
  • Ralston High School, Ralston, Nebraska (Kelley Lange, adviser)
  • St. Mary’s Catholic School, Longview, Texas (Bob Ward, adviser)
  • Central Kitsap High School, Silverdale, Washington (Katherine Miller, adviser)

Pacheco, Lange, Ward and Poorten all advise the yearbook at their schools. Pedrick advises the newspaper and Miller advises the school’s online news site. All six teachers have under five years experience as media advisers.

“I applied to the program because I inherited a failing yearbook,” Ralston High School adviser Kelley Lange said. “We were in debt, we were in trouble with community perception, and students were unmotivated. I am involved in JEA mentorship too, and it’s helped tremendously. I know with more guidance, we can turn this ship around.

“Last year, we were able to turn a profit, motivate student journalists and level up enough to even win some awards. We have our sights set on a program with real journalistic integrity that breeds professional journalists. We’re excited to be part of the Partner Project.”

Each school will work virtually with two instructors throughout the 2020-21 school year and then become eligible for an on-site experience in 2021-22. 

“Experiencing the Partner Project last year was an incredible reminder of how unique student media programs are and the sense of community they offer their students,” project instructor Megan Fromm, MJE, said. “Even though we were there to facilitate, I think I left with as much inspiration and motivation as the students.

“Doing the project virtually this year will no doubt present some challenges, but I love that it allows us to meet programs where they are and continue to serve our student journalists and advisers.”

Working in a virtual world will be different, but it opens a world of new opportunities for both students and teachers.

“Since we are unable to meet each other in-person and travel to meet face-to-face, reaching out virtually opens up more possibilities in terms of resources, time availability and personnel,” Southern Interscholastic Press Association director Leslie Dennis said. “I am thrilled to be able to work with someone outside my region, which I would not otherwise get to do in normal circumstances.”

The primary goal of the Partner Project is to make a lasting impact on a school’s journalism program which results in growth in areas such as media quality, staff metrics and professional development.

“The Partner Project has been one of the most impactful programs I’ve ever been involved with as a journalism teacher,” project instructor Kyle Carter, CJE, said. “I love the opportunity to go into a school and help their staff learn anything from headlines to layout. Watching their faces when the light goes off, and they finally understand how to photograph in manual or how to write an effective cutline, is a pretty cool thing.

“They know that now they have a plan — now they have a way to better the product they are producing, and that’s one of my biggest takeaways from it.” 

In uncertain times, we need to support each other more than ever. In our field, there’s usually no one in our building who can understand our job. That’s why I’m excited to join a team to support journalism education across the nation.”

Larry Steinmetz, CJE, first-time Partner Project instructor

Michelle Balmeo, MJE, has been with the Partner Project since its second year.

“One of the most challenging — and exciting — aspects of the Partner Project is figuring out exactly what a staff needs and meeting them where they are with a combination of engaging instruction and thought-provoking opportunities for reflection and goal setting,” Balmeo said. “Each school situation is unique, so creative solutions can’t be one-size-fits-all.”

Though this year will look a little different, the Partner Project will help unique schools with really unique situations.

“This year is going to be challenging, but I’m confident that we will find ways to support our Partner schools with virtual lessons, team building and meetings that help their staffs to find new, innovative ways for them to serve their readers and community,” Balmeo said. “Journalists are great problem-solvers. If the last three years have taught me anything, it’s that scholastic journalism has a role on every school campus, big or small, rural or urban. There are stories to tell everywhere, and with a little support and guidance, all student storytellers can serve their communities, regardless or background or circumstance.”

Mississippi Scholastic Press Association director R.J. Morgan has experienced the Partner Project from multiple angles. The first Partner Project school was in Oxford, Mississippi, where Morgan planned the Saturday workshop experience for area schools. He has since worked with other schools as an instructor.

“These partnership embeds have been some of the most effective journalism education experiences I’ve ever been involved with,” Morgan said. “They’re highly-individualized, boots-on-the-ground-type experiences that really help fledgling or underfunded programs orient themselves with some well-vetted best practices and establish a beachhead within their school community.

“As more and more schools across the country begin having hard post-pandemic conversations about teacher units, budgets, etc., then strong cross-country partnerships like these will become even more important and necessary if scholastic media is to continue to survive and thrive as the outstanding incubator of critical thinking and student expression it has been for the last 100 years.”

St. Cloud (Florida) High School adviser Laura Fry was a recipient of the JEA Partner Project two years ago and has been actively involved with JEA journalism activities ever since.

The Partner Project is a valuable resource. This program allows you to make a connection with other educators, advisers and staffs who are able to answer questions, guide and support you and your students. It gave me the confidence to step into new territory and allowed my students to believe in themselves enough to print a newspaper in their first year.”

Laura Fry, former JEA Partner Project participant

“There are two things that stand out about this program,” Fry said. “1. The advisers assigned to your staff are open to work at any level the teacher and staff are, whether it is a beginning program, one that needs extra help and support, or just a fresh look at doing journalism. The advisers are unassuming and jump right in to do what is needed.

“2. The passion the advisers bring infuses any program as they make sure to listen first to the staff and promote collaboration among the students while giving them a sense of pride and community because the cheer on the kids.”

Fry encourages all journalism teachers to take advantage of opportunities JEA provides.

“I love being a member of JEA and what it stands for when it comes to giving students a voice and a platform,” she said. “The resources JEA has for teachers are reliable and time-tested. I am amazed to see how this organization is constantly working to adjust to today’s demands in scholastic journalism.

“JEA values diversity and welcomes new voices because everyone has a story. I am excited to learn more, to attend virtual conventions and the possibility to become a CJE. It is so good to know that no matter what this school year brings, JEA’s commitment to students and advisers is unwavering.”

Instructors for the Partner Project will be: 
Val Kibler, MJE, Harrisonburg (Virginia) High School; 
Michelle Balmeo, MJE, West Albany High School, Albany, Oregon; 
Kyle Carter, CJE, Richland Jr./Sr. High School, Essex, Missouri; 
Margie Raper, MJE, Rock Hill High School, Frisco, Texas; 
Erin Sucher-O’Grady, CJE, Clayton High School, Clayton, Missouri;
Sarah Nichols, MJE, Whitney High School, Rocklin, California;
Megan Fromm, MJE, Grand Junction (Colorado) High School;
Phillip Caston, Wando High School, Mount Pleasant, South Carolina;
Leslie Dennis, Southern Interscholastic Press Association director, Columbia, South Carolina;
Larry Steinmetz, CJE, Bullitt East High School, Mount Washington, Kentucky;
Danielle Ryan, MJE, Carlsbad (California) High School;
R.J. Morgan, CJE, Mississippi Scholastic Press Association director, Oxford, Mississippi.

Founded in 1924, JEA supports free and responsible scholastic journalism by providing resources and educational opportunities, promoting professionalism, encouraging and rewarding student excellence and teacher achievement, and an atmosphere which encompasses diversity yet builds unity. It is headquartered at Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kansas.

Password Reset
Please enter your email address and press [Return] or [Enter]. You will receive a new password via e-mail.

If you don't receive it within a few minutes, please call (785-532-5532) or email us (staff@jea.org), and we'll be happy to assist you.