Committee members sought for principal outreach

As JEA moves forward with its goal to educate and empower school administrators as advocates, we have formed the Principals Outreach Committee.

Principals Outreach Committee Goals

• To create a comprehensive online resource for principals and administrators to access as they interact with the student media.
  • To create differentiated training modules to meet the needs of principals and administrators.
  • To work with colleges and universities to incorporate JEA training in teacher licensure programs and principal certification programs.
  • To showcase scholastic journalism programs as the standard in project-based learning and 21st Century skills.
  • To encourage school districts to include student free expression training in their administrator training.
  • To enlist JEA State Directors to become JEA ambassadors with principals and administrators in both training and crisis assistance.
  • To recognize administrators who support the student press.
  • To improve principal and district administration perceptions of journalism programs.

The first phase of this project will focus on using resources to polish the content of a website, which was begun as a master’s project, and gather additional materials for this resource. We are opening applications for committee members to help with this first initiative.

We are specifically seeking members who have a passion for promoting the value of scholastic journalism to principals and administrators. Experience working with or as an administrator would be of added value.

Initial responsibilities may include gathering facts, conducting interviews, researching data, creating contact lists, and analyzing the website.

If you are interested, please email a letter of interest and resume to faust.carrie@gmail.com by Dec. 12.