Theme for Scholastic Journalism Week 2024:
Here to Stay
For 100 years, JEA's mission has been to support free and responsible scholastic journalism by providing resources and educational opportunities for students and advisers across the country. Although numerous things have changed since 1924, the goal has remained. From newspapers and yearbooks to podcasts and New Voices, JEA has spent a century celebrating students and advisers who have created exceptional journalism and pushed the importance of scholastic journalism from inside and outside their classrooms. This week, we are going to celebrate all things JEA, your adviser, your program, your classroom and your peers.
About the contest
The Journalism Education Association seeks to feature a student design on a commemorative poster promoting Scholastic Journalism Week.
Scholastic Journalism Week aims to elevate the profile of scholastic journalism through celebration, information and activism.
The poster should include the text:
• Here to Stay
• Scholastic Journalism Week
• Feb. 19-23, 2024
Cost is $5 per entry.
Upload/received by deadline: May 20, 2023, 11:59 p.m. Central time/9:59 p.m. Pacific time.
Entries will be accepted as soon as the theme is announced.
Who is eligible?
All students enrolled in grades 9-12 in U.S. public, private and home schools within the United States. Students must submit original work. A team entry is allowed.
Poster size is 17x22 inches. Entries may incorporate hand-drawn or computer generated art, photography, typography or other graphic elements. Minimal use of stock art is allowed.
Students will upload a low-res PDF image for the contest judging. The winning entry will need to provide high-res files and may be asked to make minimal adjustments to the final design to meet JEA's brand standards and poster printing requirements.
Entries may be submitted online as a PDF.
Each submission to the Scholastic Journalism Week Poster Contest must be accompanied by a $5 entry fee.
Grand Prize: $500 plus design showcased on Scholastic Journalism Week website, Scholastic Journalism Week poster and additional promotions.
The Scholastic Journalism Week committee will select top entries for community judging in early fall. Winners will be notified via email. The names of winners will be announced in October. The commemorative poster will be distributed in November.
We're looking for sponsors for this program. Sponsorship benefits include an 8.5x3 brand ad on the back of the poster and digital promotions. Contact Porter@jea.org to learn more.
Section I - General Rules
1. Students must enter through JEA headquarters.
2. Students must create an original design.
3. The Journalism Education Association has the right to edit, publish or otherwise duplicate any design entered into the contest without payment to the designer.
4. Due to the volume of entries received, only national winners will be contacted with the results.
5. The entry fee for this contest is $5 per design.
Section II - Qualifications for students
1. The contest is open to all students in grades 9-12 in public, private and home schools within the United States.
2. Students may submit more than one design. The $5 fee is per entry.
Section III - Contest rules
1. The poster design must illustrate the theme for the year.
2. Each entry must include the Entry Form.
3. The poster should include the text: Here to Stay, Scholastic Journalism Week, Feb. 19-23, 2024.
4. The artist's signature may be included in the design.
5. Any stock art or copyrighted material used in the design must be identified in the Entry Form. Failure to identify non-original material will result in disqualification.