Please carefully read these instructions on how to prepare videos for online submission.
NOTE: By submitting a student’s work, the adviser confirms that it is the work of the student entered and has not been entered in a previous JEA student contest.
In broadcast contests, students must provide documentation that all audio, video, and photographic material submitted belongs to the school submitting the work. Upon upload, students should provide proof that written permission has been granted from the copyright holder to use the material. This can be done by emailing the broadcast coordinator proof of subscription, purchase or contract with your entry. Royalty free music and self-produced music is permitted, as long as the student indicates the website and/or license agreement for the music. Failure to do so will result in no award and disqualification. The broadcast contest coordinator will Shazam every video with music to check copyright material.
*If your story uses music you must include the song title and provide a link to the song in the description below your Youtube or Vimeo video.
(example: Big Horns Intro by Audionautix is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution license (https://www.youtube.com/audiolibrary/music)
Step 1. Please make sure you read the overall rules carefully.
Step 2. Make sure you register yourself or your student (s) in the proper category at National Student Media Contests or Junior High/Middle School National Media Contest.
Contestants submitting entries for Short Documentary that contain only sound — please see the section at the bottom of this page, “Submitting Audio-Only Work.”
The account does not need to be an official school account, but it does need to be public. If you are already a member of any of these video services, skip to step 4.
Step 4. Upload Your video
- Ensure that the video meets the specifications of the particular contest you are entering, as well as guidelines of the video service you are using.
- Judges will not look at video titles, descriptions or tags, so you can put whatever you would like in these fields.
- Please ensure that the video is listed as public.
Step 5. Submit Your entry information to the NSMC system
- Copy the URL to the video that has been uploaded. (Examples: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ7ckty_SHI or http://vimeo.com/50051915 or https://www.schooltube.com/video/fff4b041383749a1b5c1/)
- Log in to the contest system and enter your video entry information in the appropriate contest under the student's name. For detailed instructions to submit online contest entries (including this entry form), visit jea.org/contests.
Submitting Audio-Only Work
Video sharing sites are not designed to accept audio-only files. (e.g. mp3, WAV, etc.) To submit audio-only work for contest 41 (Short Documentary) students must convert the audio files into video files. This can be done in any video editing software such as iMovie or Windows Movie Maker. If you need more instruction on accomplishing this, see a similar tutorial that was created for uploading audio files to YouTube.
- Must be uploaded as a video file:
- Audio will be the students' work
- Do not add titles or lettering of any kind to the video.
- Do not alter the original audio.
Questions about the NSMC process can be addressed to the the JEA broadcast contest administrator at anchambers@richland2.