- To promote professionalism in scholastic journalism.
- To offer national certification to scholastic journalism teachers and advisers.
- To designate as master teachers educators whose experience and expertise make them outstanding professionals.
- To recognize educators who possess the education or experience to teach scholastic journalism and advise student publications.
- To encourage those who are teaching scholastic journalism or advising student publications without an adequate background to increase their knowledge of journalism and to provide a model for their continuing education.
- To increase the availability of courses and workshops appropriate for the scholastic journalism teacher and adviser.
- To provide model certification requirements for scholastic journalism teachers in states that do not offer licensing in this field.
- To improve public and school district perceptions of certified scholastic journalism teachers as professionals.
- To increase diversity in scholastic journalism.
The certification committee has an opening for a collegiate member. Apply here by May 15.