Sergio Yanes appointed to director-at-large position

Sergio Yanes, CJE

Sergio Yanes, CJE, will join the Journalism Education Association board of directors as director-at-large effective immediately. He teaches journalism and advises student media at Arvada (Colorado) High School, where he also leads the Career and Technical Education department.

President Sarah Nichols, MJE, made the appointment this week after the board reviewed applications from eight candidates and conducted follow-up conversations with three finalists via Zoom.

“It’s such a testament to our incredible community to see eight amazing teacher-leaders step up to serve JEA right now,” Nichols said. “Our team has a lot of irons in the fire, and we’re thrilled to welcome Sergio and tap into his insights and energy right away, particularly as we push to increase representation and access for more marginalized communities.”

Yanes is a past participant in JEA’s Outreach Academy and has experience building journalism programs at lower-income, urban and upper-middle class, suburban schools. As a first-generation, American-born Latino of Venezuelan and Spanish descent, he is fully bilingual. At the state level, Yanes developed a CTE pathway for journalism at Arvada and has served on the board of Colorado Student Media Association as advocacy coordinator.

“I am excited to dive in and help continue JEA’s work of building towards diversity, equity and inclusion in journalism classrooms as well as among educators and advisers.”

Sergio Yanes, CJE

“Our students need to feel seen and heard, as do our teachers and advisers,” he said. “We must continue to examine pre-established systems of oppression and put in the effort it takes to dismantle these barriers in order to centralize historically marginalized voices and provide a truly equitable experience. I look forward to serving as an advocate for those who may have been harmed or hindered by these systems.” 

Yanes assumes the remainder of the director-at-large position vacated by Sarah Verpooten, MJE, who resigned last month. The three-year board term runs through April 30, 2023.

“Sergio has impressive ideas for ways to move JEA forward, especially with integrating DEI elements in many of our projects,” JEA Vice President Val Kibler, MJE, said. “He’s willing to jump in where needed and will bring a new voice with creative ideas to our board.”

Founded in 1924, JEA supports free and responsible scholastic journalism by providing resources and educational opportunities, promoting professionalism, encouraging and rewarding student excellence and teacher achievement, and an atmosphere which encompasses diversity yet builds unity. It is headquartered at Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kansas.