Deadline: July 15
About the award
This award is given to a professional journalist, professional media outlet or other individual or group making a significant contribution to scholastic journalism. JEA members are encouraged to nominate worthy individuals or groups. Several awards may be presented each year.
Nominations for the Friend of Scholastic Journalism award can be submitted using this form. Applications are due July 15.
- Tina Cleavelin, CJE, Jostens, Parker, Colo.
- Ernest Hooper, Tampa Bay (Fla.) Times
- Michael Donoghue, Saint Michael’s College, Colchester, Vt.
- Steve Listopad, Valley City (N.D.) State University
- Rebecca Snyder, Maryland-Delaware-DC Press Association, Baltimore
- Angela Filo, Yellow Chair Foundation, Palo Alto, Calif.
- Wendy Wallace, CJE, The Poynter Institute, St. Petersburg, Fla.
- Vicky Wolfe, CJE, Herff Jones Inc., Indianapolis
- Tom Campbell, The Argus-Press, Owosso, Mich.
- Gary Hairlson, St. Louis Post-Dispatch
- Margaret Kaplow, The Washington Post
- Barbara McCormack, Newseum, Washington, D.C.
- Jim A. Angele, Lincoln, Neb.
- The Boston Globe, Brian McGrory, editor
- Dann P. Gire, The Chicago Daily Herald
- Tim Taylor, Butte County Office of Education, Oroville, Calif.
- The Sacramento (Calif.) Bee
- William Dussling, board member, Township High School District 214, Arlington Heights, Ill.
- Phyllis Fletcher, KUOW Puget Sound Public Radio, Seattle
- William Macfadyen, founder and publisher, noozhawk.com, Santa Barbara, Calif.
- Bobby Malish, Canon USA, Dallas
- Barbara Martinez, former reporter for The Wall Street Journal, Hoboken, N.J.
- Amy DeVault, Elliott School of Communication, Wichita (Kan.) State University
- Derius Mammen, former representative for Jostens Publishing, Salina, Kan.
- Teresa Scribner, visual journalist, The Seattle Times
- George Q. Wilson, publisher, Harrison (Ill.) Daily Register
- Lydia Ramos, director of internal communications, Los Angeles Unified School District
- Russell LaCour, The Tulsa (Okla.) World and director, NABJ-Tulsa Urban Journalism Workshop
- Allison Frick and Robert Charette, WUSA-TV and dc.highschoolsports.net, Washington, D.C.
- Cristina L. Azocar, Center for Integration and Improvement in Journalism, San Francisco
- Tyler Buller, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa
- Jenée A. Chizick, Motivos magazine, Philadelphia
- Gary Cordray, Littleton, Colo.
- Marion E. Best, editor, Moultrie County News-Progress, Sullivan, Ill.
- John Cutsinger, senior creative accounts manager, Jostens, Ocoee, Fla.
- Carol Knopes, director of education programs, Radio and Television News Directors Foundation, Washington, D.C.
Sen. Leland Yee, San Francisco, Calif.
- Bill Lord, vice president for news, WJLA-TV, Washington, D.C.
- Cheryl L. Smith, executive editor, The Dallas (Texas) Weekly
- James “Jim” W. Ewert, California Newspaper Publishers Association (Sacramento, Calif.)
- The Long Island Press, Beverly Fortune, associate publisher, Syosset, N.Y.
- Missy Green, Walsworth Publishing Co., Altamonte Springs, Fla.
- Walter C. Mallard “Skip” Walters,” Cherry Creek Radio, Great Falls, Mont.
- Randy Miller, University of South Florida, Tampa, Fla.
- David G. Thompson, District of Columbia Public Schools, Career and Technology Education
- David Upthegrove, House of Representatives, Olympia, Wash.
- Rick Wood, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Milwaukee, Wisc.
- David L. Bennett, Illinois Press Association and Foundation, Springfield, Ill.
- Kim Blumhardt, Colorado State University Student Media, Fort Collins, Colo.
- Henry “Hank” Koshollek, Capital Times, Madison, Wis.
- Allen Loibner, CJE, Arkansas Scholastic Press Association, Pulaski Technical College, North Little Rock, Ark.
- Joe Wirt, California Newspaper Publishers Association, Sacramento, Calif.
- Jane Briggs-Bunting, Michigan State University
- Jeff Browne, Colorado State University
Rowland Rebele, Alameda Newspaper Group
- Kevin Keane, Alameda Newspaper Group
- The Newspaper Association of America Foundation
- Donna Walker, Urban Journalism Workshops, Washington Association of Black Journalists
- Khalim Piankhi, WUSA-TV
- Jim Boren, The Fresno Bee, Calif.
- National Public Radio, Washington, D.C., for Urban Journalism Workshop,
Prime Movers, Inc. and the Next Generation Radio Project
- Youth Voices, WAMU Radio, American University, Washington, D.C.
- Emerald Coast Public Relations Organization, Ft. Walton Beach, Fla.
- Mary and Barrie Hartman, Louisville, Co.
- Paul Pohlman and the Poynter Institute, St. Petersburg, Fla.
- Rosalind “Roz” Stark, Radio and TV News Directors Foundation
- Dorothy Gilliam (The Washington Post Young Journalists Development Project)
- Virginia High School League (Virginia Commonwealth University Journalism Project)
- American Society of Newspaper Editor
- Susan Morgan, Macomb Daily, Mount Clemens, Mich.
- Philip Van Hule Ill.
- Pennsylvania Newspaper Association
- Martin Savidge, CNN, Atlanta, Ga.
- Jeff Newell, Northwest Florida Daily News
- Tony Majeri, The Chicago Tribune
- Tom Kotynski, Great Falls Tribune, Mont.
- Herff Jones Yearbooks
- Jostens Printing and Publishing
- Taylor Publishing Co
- Walsworth Publishing Co.
- Michael Forrester, Capital Press (Salem, Ore.)
- Chip Beck, Political Graphics Service
- Ellen Caplon, San Antonio
- Tom Batiuk
- Don Reeder
- Martha Stone
- Lorraine Eaton, The Virginian Pilot and The Ledger-Star, Va.
- The Kansas City Star, Mo.
- National Federation of Press Women
- The Stockton Record, Calif.
- Diane McFarlin, The Sarasota Herald Tribune, Fla.
- Tim Gallagher, The Albuquerque Tribune, N.M.
- Wanda Lloyd, USA Today
- Walterene Swanston, NABJ
- Rick Senften, Canton, OH Repository
- The Oregonian, Portland, Ore.
- Rene Gunter, Tampa (Fla.) Tribune
- Kevin Doyle, Peninsula Times Tribune, Calif.
- The Arizona Republic
- Phoenix Gazette
- Tim Harrower, West Linn, Ore.
- Mary Montgomery, Chicago, Ill.
- Kathy Barberich
- Fort Lauderdale News/Sun Sentinel
- The Poynter Institute
- Robert Hanashiro, photographer, Visalia, Calif.
- National Federation of Press Women
- Judith Hines, ANPA
- Michael Forrester, editor,
- Pendleton (Ore.) Oregonian
- San Jose (CA) Mercury News
- Southern Newspaper Publishers Association, Ga.
- McClatchy Newspapers
- John Seigenthaler
- USA Today
- Pierce County Herald, Wash.
- Norma M Cunningham, Galesburg Register-Mail, Ill.
- Mr and Mrs Dean Lesher/
- Portland (Ore.) Advertising Federation
- Asbury Park Press
- WBBM Channel 2, Chicago
- Gannett Foundation
- Lara Steinel, Kansas City Star
- Wilma Wirt, University of Texas
- Detroit Free Press
- Pottsville Republican
- Charley Manos, Detroit New
- Las Cruces Sun News
- Milwaukee Sentinel
- “Lou Grant” Show
- Scholastic Magazine
- Student Press Law Center
- Robert Brayfield
- Kansas City Star
- Scholastic Editor
- Lois Lauer Wolfe
- Baltimore Sun
- Boise (ID) Statesman
- Janes Duffy, ABC-TV
- Bruce Underwood
- Earl English
- St Louis Post Dispatch
- Wichita Eagle-Beacon
- Ralph Alexander
- Lionel Barrow
- Don Nicholson
- The Nashville Tennessean
- WSB-TV, Atlanta, Ga.
- Louisville Courier-Journal
- New York Times
- Tacoma News Tribune
- Atlanta Constitution
- Champion Papers Div, US Plywood
- Reader’s Digest
- The Wall Street Journal/Dow Jones Newspaper Fund
- Chicago Tribune
- Los Angeles Times
- Washington Post
- Christian Science Monitor
- Des Moines Register
- St Paul Dispatch and Pioneer Press
- Milwaukee Journal
- Scholastic Rota