Ragan Stoltz named 2022 JEA Aspiring Young Journalist

By Joe Humphrey, MJE, JEA Journalist of the Year coordinator

To paraphrase her adviser, Ragan got it done.

Ragan Stoltz, a yearbook editor at Cactus Canyon Junior High School in Apache Junction, Arizona, was honored today in Los Angeles as the Journalism Education Association’s 2022 Aspiring Young Journalist.

At the Spring 2022 JEA/NSPA National High School Journalism Convention, JEA also recognized three award runners-up: Lila Goldin of Bak Middle School of the Arts in West Palm Beach, Florida; Katie Myshrall of Cooper Middle School in McLean, Virginia; and Satvika Ramanathan of Clague Middle School in Ann Arbor, Michigan. 

The Aspiring Young Journalist Award honors middle school or junior high students for excellence in these areas:

• Skilled and creative use of media
  • Inquiring mind and investigative persistence
  • Courageous and responsible handling of issues
  • Variety of journalistic experiences
  • Sustained and commendable work with school media

Ragan Stoltz

In his nomination letter, Cactus Canyon adviser Jason Davis, CJE, praised Stoltz for eagerness that helped her become the Oro yearbook’s first seventh grade editor in chief.

“Ragan gets it done,” Davis said. “As a seventh grader, she was the first to go cover an event when we had no one else to do it. If we needed something, she stepped up. It never mattered to Ragan if it was her first time or her 50th, she took it on. If she didn’t get it quite right, she wanted to know how to improve. Her interest turned into a drive, and her drive turned into a passion.”

As an eighth grader this year, she continued to grow into her leadership role, Davis said, and her “ambition for success keeps other students motivated and on track.” Award jurors commended Stoltz for her writing, design, photography and leadership. 

“It’s clear that you ‘get’ what middle and high school journalism is all about,” wrote Delaware adviser Dennis Leizear, CJE, one of three educators to score the Aspiring entries. 

Stoltz follows in the footsteps of another Cactus Canyon journalist, who won this award two years ago. In her application letter, Stoltz described that standard as something that was both terrifying and motivating. She said being in a room with others who care as much about journalism as her at conferences, workshops and conventions has been life changing.

“Most people don’t know the struggles of journalism such as theme copy, but when you walk into a room filled with people who do, it’s like a breath of fresh air.”

In an essay on the importance of journalism, Stoltz highlighted the value it plays on campuses and in the community.

“Without student journalists,” she wrote, “the student’s only form of information would be gossip, filled with many unreliable sources. Student publications also allow a new level of creativity and freedom of expression for students. It can help teach them about their rights as citizens and that they are allowed to report on anything without being afraid of backlash because of it.

“Journalism,” Stoltz added, “teaches people that it’s OK to tell the full story and that they shouldn’t be afraid of the truth.”

Lila Goldin

A passion for storytelling led Lila Goldin to start a newspaper at her elementary school. She carried that spark into middle school to become one of the leading young journalists in the country. 

Goldin is a member of the broadcast staff and editor of the Portfolio newspaper at Bak Middle School of the Arts in West Palm Beach, Florida. 

“Her journalism projects have been consistently superior in quality, and she has actively participated in a diverse assortment of production activities ranging from producing and directing a live television news show to reporting and anchoring,” adviser Shannon Owens said. “Her focused dedication to telling stories, sharing information to educate teens on controversial and important topics, and reporting world and local news to our school community demonstrate her passion for our craft.”

As part of her nomination, Goldin said about how journalism has brought people on her campus closer together.

“At the end of each morning news show at my school, the anchors state the show’s tagline: “You miss a day, you miss a lot.” This tagline is an iconic part of the community at my school.”

Katie Myshrall

Though school was online, Katie Myshrall caught the attention quickly of her journalism teacher at Cooper Middle School in McLean, Virginia.

“I first met Katie as a brand new seventh grader in my virtual journalism classroom,” said adviser Lindsay Bovenzi. “Even though it was difficult to get to know students, many of whom didn’t turn on cameras or mics, Katie’s presence and love of journalism was well known from the beginning. Her talent for writing and reporting, and her passion for journalism stood out amongst her peers, and even in the virtual classroom world, she was very engaged and informed.”

She eventually grew into the role of lead news anchor for the morning show and then this year, editor in chief of the school’s yearbook. With a busy resume that also includes dance, gymnastics, Girl Scouts, student government and more, Myshrall wrote about how journalism can help students expand their interests.

“Journalism programs encourage students to grow outside of their comfort zones,” Myshrall said. “To create a successful piece of journalism, students must interview their peers, research, write and edit. All of these things are different from what students usually do during school hours, and require persistence, courage and practice.”

Satvika Ramanathan

During a tour of Clague Middle School in Ann Arbor, Michigan, then-fifth grader Satvika Ramanathan was drawn to a note posted in the library that read “Newspaper Club meets here Mondays after school.”

“That night, I went home and I remember telling my mom about it,” Ramanathan said. “Super excited. It’s the start of middle school. I thought I should try something new.”

Now, she’s the one leading Monday meetings as editor of the school’s news website. Adviser Sara-Beth Badalamente, CJE, describes her as “a gem.”

“Satvika built our website,” Badalamente said. “Working with mentors from the high school and SNO, Satvika worked on the back end of the website while remaining one of the main contributors to the publication. She helped her peers work towards best practices in journalism. She laid out goals to have diversified coverage while maintaining posting three-five times a week. Sometimes I had to remind myself that this was a club that met only for one hour virtually each week.”

Ramanathan is also part of the yearbook staff. In an essay, she wrote about how student media programs like those at her school provide students with a voice.

“Middle schoolers have a lot to say,” she said. “And oftentimes, they don’t necessarily have a place to say it. Journalism programs in middle school can help provide that.”

All four honorees plan to pursue journalism in high school, an exciting prospect for advisers such as contest juror Kristi Rathbun, MJE.

“The top portfolios included work that reflected an awareness of the world around them – at school and beyond,” Rathbun, a Colorado adviser, said. “The range of products, from well-researched opinion pieces to stunning photography to purposeful design, lets me know the future of journalism is in good hands.”

Password Reset
Please enter your email address and press [Return] or [Enter]. You will receive a new password via e-mail.

If you don't receive it within a few minutes, please call (785-532-5532) or email us (staff@jea.org), and we'll be happy to assist you.