Partner Project Schools announced for 2021-22 program

By Val Kibler, MJE, JEA vice president

The Journalism Education Association has named three 2021-22 Partner Project schools.

This year’s recipients include:

• Joseph A. Foran High School, Milford, Connecticut (Lisa Farrell, adviser)
  • Caney Valley Schools, Ramona, Oklahoma (Sue Flaming, adviser)
  • East Union High School, Manteca, California (Monica Cabrera, adviser)

Each school will work virtually with two instructors throughout the 2021-22 school year and then become eligible for an on-site experience in 2022-23.

Caney Valley Schools adviser Sue Flaming teaches primarily science classes and is looking for help with her journalism program.

“I applied to the JEA Partner Project to create a more journalistic program for my staff and our publication,” she said. “Being from a discipline other than English, art or journalism, teaching a publications class is like being in a different world. This science teacher has much to learn from the Project.”

Working in a virtual world is different, but it opens a world of new opportunities for students and teachers. Partner Project instructors were able to meet and start working with their respective advisers last spring to develop a strategic plan for this school year.

“From the minute we got to meet Lisa [Farrell], I was excited. You can just tell when someone is passionate about what they do. [I’m] looking forward to helping Lisa and her staff reach the next level,” Larry Steinmetz, CJE, said of the Foran High School adviser.

Partner Project veterans Margie Raper, MJE, and R.J. Morgan, MJE, will be working with East Union High School in California.

“The students of East Union are so lucky to have adviser Monica Cabrera leading them. She is devoted to growing a journalism program. As part of the Partner Project, we are excited to be on her team to help build the East Union students into strong journalists and storytellers for their campus and community, Raper said.

Morgan shares Raper’s excitement about this year’s Partner Project.

“Monica’s program has a ton of potential, and she’s already proven to be really open to our help and suggestions. I can’t wait to see how this partnership develops from here,” Morgan said.

Kyle Carter, CJE, has enjoyed working with several different Partner Project schools.

“I love JEA’s Partner Project. The Project is very unique in that it pairs seasoned journalism advisers from all over the country with those early in their career and we are able to walk through planning and preparation together – something I didn’t have when I began my career. It also allows me to work with students from other schools, and teach them everything from how to photograph in manual [mode] to how to write an effective cutline and many other things. This is information that not only those students will use this year while building their publications, but they can teach to next year’s staff and carry with them on throughout their academic careers,” Carter said.

The primary goal of the Partner Project is to make a lasting impact on a school’s journalism program which results in growth in areas such as media quality, staff metrics and professional development. Two of last year’s virtual Partner Project schools will continue this year with on-site experiences: Central Kitsap High School in Silverdale, Washington (Katherine Miller, adviser) and Valley High School in Las Vegas, Nevada (Kelly Pedrick, adviser).

Michelle Balmeo, MJE, worked with Central Kitsap virtually last year and has been with the Partner Project since its second year.

“Even in the strangest year ever, the adviser and student journalists at Central Kitsap High School actually grew their program. They executed a website redesign and expanded their course offerings. They experimented with new ways to connect with readers and outreach to new recruits,” Balmeo said. “Meeting with the small but mighty editor team of the Cougar Chronicle, it was clear they are passionate about doing meaningful journalism that makes an impact on their campus. We are excited to partner with them next year as they build the depth of experience and leadership necessary to become a true student-led publication.”

Balmeo has already seen growth at Central Kitsap.

“Adviser Katherine Miller asks all the right questions. This year, she focused on building up an editorial board and student leadership opportunities within her staff in hopes of increasing student retention year to year. Not only did she succeed in retaining key staff members as editors for next year, but she advocated for developing a journalism sequence to help with program stability. With new staff leaders and a recently redesigned website, the student journalists of Central Kitsap High School are ready to up their game this year,” Balmeo said.

Instructors for the Partner Project are: 

• Michelle Balmeo, MJE, West Albany High School, Albany, Oregon; 
  • Kyle Carter, CJE, RIchland Jr./Sr. High School, Essex, Missouri; 
  • Margie Raper, MJE, Rock Hill High School, Dallas; 
  • Erin Sucher-O’Grady, CJE, Clayton High School, Clayton, Missouri;
  • Sarah Nichols, MJE, Whitney High School, Rocklin, California;
  • Megan Fromm, MJE, Grand Junction (Colorado) High School;
  • Phillip Caston, CJE, Wando High School, Mount Pleasant, South Carolina;
  • Leslie Dennis, Southern Interscholastic Press Association Director, Columbia, South Carolina;
  • Larry Steinmetz, CJE, Bullitt East High School, Mount Washington, Kentucky;
  • R.J. Morgan, CJE, Mississippi Scholastic Press Association Director, Oxford, Mississippi

Founded in 1924, JEA supports free and responsible scholastic journalism by providing resources and educational opportunities, promoting professionalism, encouraging and rewarding student excellence and teacher achievement, and an atmosphere which encompasses diversity yet builds unity. It is headquartered at Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kansas.

Password Reset
Please enter your email address and press [Return] or [Enter]. You will receive a new password via e-mail.

If you don't receive it within a few minutes, please call (785-532-5532) or email us (staff@jea.org), and we'll be happy to assist you.