Minutes from the April 17, 2020, general membership meeting
Journalism Education Association
General Membership Meeting Minutes
8 a.m. April 16, 2020 • 8 a.m. CDT
The Journalism Education Association conducted a modified, virtual general membership meeting available to members at 8 a.m. Central time April 17, 2020. Members accessed materials by logging in to JEA.org with their username and password.
To model the traditional format as closely as possible, the meeting included prerecorded reports from President Sarah Nichols, MJE, and Executive Director Kelly Glasscock, CJE. Agenda items included JEA election data, convention updates and financial reports. Nichols referred members to the semiannual report for director and committee reports.
During the past six weeks, JEA board members and staff worked to shift programming, maintain services remotely and anticipate member needs. Committees worked on materials that would help our members transition to online learning while schools were closed during the COVID-19 pandemic. The materials remain available online in the members-only area for future access.
- JEA added a library of educational resources from past National Student Media Contests prompts.
- The Scholastic Press Rights Committee released some basic lessons for teachers to use during online learning.
- The curriculum team offered resources for those engaging in distance/online learning.
- There have been a variety of posts on the JEA Digital Media site geared toward remote instruction and adviser.
- JEA announced the Journalist of the Year scholarship winners and Aspiring Young Journalist winners solely on Facebook live.
Candace Perkins Bowen, MJE, Nominations chair provided a report on the outcome of the board election. These board members will begin their three-year term May 1.
- Sarah Nichols, MJE – President
- Val Kibler, MJE – Vice President
- Kristin Taylor, CJE – Director, Scholastic Press Rights
- Shari Adwers, MJE – Director, Educational Initiatives
- Brenda Field, MJE – Director-at-large
- Katie Merritt, MJE – Director-at-large
- Sarah Verpooten, MJE – Director-at-large
Several members submitted questions or comments before the meeting. They were addressed by Sarah Nichols in her video.
The next general membership meeting will be Nov. 20, 2020, at the Orlando World Center Marriott in Orlando, Florida, or held virtually on that day if travel is restricted or the convention is virtual.