Leaders hope to reach new audiences at SXSW EDU 2020

With the message that journalistic storytelling not only benefits students in scholastic media programs but moves the needle globally for more informed, engaged, empathetic citizens, JEA Executive Director Kelly Glasscock, CJE, and President Sarah Nichols, MJE, proposed a SXSW EDU 2020 campfire session open for voting through Aug. 23, 2019.

“Gen Alpha Can Save Democracy — Will We Let Them?” promises three key takeaways:

• Journalistic storytelling — rooted in truth, accuracy and ethical decision-making — influences a society addicted to dopamine hits.
    • Learning these journalism concepts transfers beyond the school experience and into students’ personal lives, which ignites a bigger dialogue.
    • Students can use storytelling to engage, connect and effect change. We must allow Gen Alpha to practice the First Amendment to protect democracy.

According to conference organizers, more than 1,700 proposals were submitted for the March 2020 event. JEA members and others invested in the themes of student voice, storytelling, media literacy and civic engagement are encouraged to “up vote” the proposal and help get it on the program.

“[The conference] brings together a diverse array of experts to talk about important issues around education. It’s very forward-thinking and is more ‘big ideas’ than a ‘how-to’ conference,” said JEA member Michael Hernandez, a frequent SXSW EDU presenter and attendee.

Members are urged to help build a stronger future for America’s youth by casting their vote here.

Candace Perkins Bowen, MJE, said, “This next generation has to be the one to steer us back on course. Telling stories that need to be heard — and using their voices journalistically to do so — is a great way to empower them so they can help us.”

Password Reset
Please enter your email address and press [Return] or [Enter]. You will receive a new password via e-mail.

If you don't receive it within a few minutes, please call (785-532-5532) or email us (staff@jea.org), and we'll be happy to assist you.