Job opportunity: Contract web developer
Journalism Education Association is looking for one or a couple of freelance full-stack developers to help our staff developer complete parts of a large project, working on a contract/remote basis.
About Journalism Education Association (JEA)
We are a non-profit association of journalism teachers and scholastic media advisers. Among many other things, we host scholastic media contests at certain times of the year. Students are registered, entered in contests, and submit photography, writing, design, and broadcast media entries, all online in our contest management system. Critiquing and judging are also performed through this system. We usually get around 1,200 – 1,500
contestants participating in these contests.
Our existing system is struggling mightily, so we’re building a new system to replace it from the ground up with Laravel.
Platforms and frameworks in our stack
- Be located within two time zones from Kansas, USA.
- Be able to collaborate closely with our staff developer via phone/slack/email.
- Have at least 20-30 hours/week to devote to this project. You can manage your time as you see fit, as long as we can expect a certain number of hours each week.
- Can work expediciously, and can report steady progress.
- Solid experience knowledge/skills with all the following
- Write well-organized, readable, maintainable code
- Set up in local environment with test LAMP stack server
Above average knowledge of UI design/optimization.
Send the following to Kate Dubiel – email@example.com:
- Resume that shows recent experience doing contract work with Laravel.
- Code samples.
- Your standard rates, or if you prefer, we’ll send a more detailed description of the job
on which to base a bid. (Either way, at some point, we’ll need an estimate of hours
required before work begins.)
- Number of hours you have available to work each week.
- Copy of your contract, if you have one (otherwise we will provide one).
- References from past clients.