Board Minutes – San Francisco 2018

Board Minutes – San Francisco 2018

Minutes – San Francisco 2018
Journalism Education Association Board Meeting
Unofficial Minutes (to be approved in Chicago, Nov. 1, 2018)

CALL TO ORDER

A meeting of the Journalism Education Association board of directors was held Thursday, April 12, 2018, in the Foothill C room at the Marriott Marquis in San Francisco. It began at 8:30 a.m. and was presided over by Sarah Nichols with Connie Fulkerson as secretary.

ATTENDEES

Voting members: Sarah Nichols, president; Val Kibler, vice president; Megan Fromm, Educational Initiatives director; Lori Keekley, Scholastic Press Rights director; Tom Gayda, director at large; Mike Malcom-Bjorklund, director at large; Julia Satterthwaite, director at large.

Nonvoting members: Standing Committees: Karen Slusher, awards; Nancy Y. Smith, contests; Kim Green, certification; Aaron Manfull, digital media; Evelyn Lauer, publications/public relations chair; Jonathan Rogers, professional outreach chair. Special Committees: Nina Quintana, career and technical education; Rebecca Pollard, Journalist of the Year; Patrick Johnson, mentoring program; Editors: Erin Coggins, social media editor; Bradley Wilson, C:JET editor. Staff: Kelly Glasscock, executive director; Connie Fulkerson, administrative assistant; Liaisons: Laura Widmer, NSPA; Kate Klonowski, higher education

Guest: Nikhil Moro, incoming director of the A.Q. Miller School of Journalism and Mass Communications at Kansas State University.

READING OF NOTICE OF MEETING

The following was posted on JEA.org on March 14: The Journalism Education Association board of directors will meet at 8:30 a.m. Thursday, April 12, 2018, in the Foothill C room, Second Level, of the Marriott Marquis hotel in San Francisco.

APPROVAL OF MINUTES

A motion to accept the minutes, with corrections, of the fall 2017 board meeting in Dallas was made by Julia Satterthwaite and seconded by Megan Fromm. (passed 7-0)

AFFIRMATION OF ELECTRONIC VOTES

Sarah Nichols affirmed these electronic votes:

• Motion to support New Voices of Washington Senate Bill 5064 ?(passed 7-0, Feb. 17, 2018)
  • Motion to support New Voices of New York Senate Bill 7721 and Assembly Bill A9801 (passed 7-0, Feb. 17, 2018)
  • Motion to host the 2019 Advisers Institute at the Ace Hotel in New Orleans
    (passed 6-0, Jan. 26, 2018)
  • Motion to join NAMLE as an Organizational Partner (passed 7-0, Nov. 30, 2017)

APPROVAL OF AGENDA

A motion to approve the agenda was made by Lori Keekley and seconded by Val Kibler after a request to push back Partner Project report to a time when an NSPA representative is here. (passed 7-0)

COMMENDATIONS

The following individuals or groups were commended by board members or committee chairs:

• Adam Dawkins, CJE, by Evelyn Lauer, MJE, for increasing engagement through creative, relevant connections during Scholastic Journalism Week.
  • Dr. Jean Folkerts by Sarah Nichols for actively supporting JEA and strengthening the organization’s relationships with the A.Q. Miller School of Journalism and Mass Communications.
  • Melissa Falkowski and Sarah Lerner by Saran Nichols, MJE, for acting with courage and grace to showcase the importance of student voices, using the spotlight as a powerful platform to validate the skills developed in scholastic journalism programs.
  • Carmen Wendt, MJE, by Sarah Nichols for exemplary leadership and service as Arizona’s state director by building positive relationships, connecting members and nurturing new journalism teachers.

REPORTS AND ITEMS OF INTEREST

Write-off Contest and Quiz Bowl – Nancy Smith
There are 24 Quiz Bowl teams registered for San Francisco. New teams will be able to join at on-site since an online qualifying test is no longer required. A flier reminding middle school advisers of the deadline for the Junior High/Middle School Media Contest will be distributed at the convention. There are 1,566 students entered in Write-offs. Broadcast contest coordinator Erika Quick has decided to step down after this convention. Others on the committee will take over her duties. There is a plan to coordinate the Scholastic Journalism Week logo contest and a Write-off graphic design contest for the Chicago convention to get more involvement.

Conventions – Kelly Glasscock
There are 4,451 people registered for the convention. This does not include walk-in registrations. That is higher than the 4,100 the planners had expected.
In looking for future sites, it’s been a struggle on the West Coast finding properties that will accept our food-and-beverage limits. The hotel minimum is not something JEA/NSPA can meet at some properties.

Internet access in meeting and sleeping rooms is also something the directors are negotiating. At both future Boston conventions internet access has been built into the contracts.
Extended sessions have filled and it appears to be a successful model for the spring convention. Evaluations will be made after the San Francisco convention to see if these extended sessions will be continued.

2021 and 2022 conventions: San Diego hotels won’t consider bidding for our convention. Minimum food and beverage JEA/NSPA would have to meet for them to bid is $400,000, which is nearly impossible for us to meet unless student food functions would be included. This issue may become a hindrance. The directors have heard back from Seattle, Portland, Kansas City, Denver, Phoenix and San Antonio locations.

Headquarters – Kelly Glasscock

1. Website. A K-State student helped choose the theme and work on the new site. The web host was changed. Easier site navigation with a more engaging front page was the goal. Glasscock would like feedback from members. Another goal will be making our branding of satellite sites more cohesive with the main site, including those managed by Scholastic Press Rights, Digital Media, Mentoring and Curriculum committees. Adding supplemental items from Communication: Journalism Education Today, and making reports more accessible will be worked on as well.
2. Documentation of subsequent events.
The Write-off system development has been a challenge for some time. It does not appear it will be ready by the Chicago convention. The board needs to decide the strategy for the new Write-off system. Do we scrap what we have so far or continue developing it? Develop it in house or seek outside developers so our in-house developer can work on other projects? JEA might consider looking at STN or BPA contest registration models and getting ideas from them.
3. Advisers Institute: Speakers have been selected for the 2018 Advisers Institute, and people are already registered. A contract was signed for the 2019 Advisers Institute in New Orleans.

COMMITTEE AND EDITOR REPORTS

Journalist of the Year – Rebecca Pollard
Pollard gave an overview of the Journalist of the Year competition. Students submit their work digitally using various platforms. The portfolios are organized by 11 curriculum sections. This has helped give the judges consistency. An average judge spends two to four hours per student portfolio. A rubric was developed in 2015 but something new has been added/changed every year. A survey form is sent a week after convention to the students, advisers and state directors. Constructive criticism is beneficial. Pollard sends out commendation letter to superiors of judges so they can get recognition. Pollard has a core of 25 judges but there are 30 to 40 in the group in case backups are needed.
Since Pollard has been JOY chair the number of entries has ranged from a low of 31 to a high of 36 (this year). The students must make sure the personal information is not on the website. There have been disqualifications over the years. This year there was a set of copyright violations that resulted in a disqualification.

Seattle was the first time there was a meet and greet session for the state-winning Journalists of the Year, their advisers and judges. It was well received but not long enough so in San Francisco, it was extended to two hours. Sarah Nichols indicated this could be a sponsorship opportunity for someone so the meet and greet could include snacks or a meal.

Mentoring Program – Patrick Johnson
There are 40 mentors, with some retirements coming up. There are 117 mentees. The committee is hoping to get more states involved but there are some financial concerns. Yellow Chair is a primary sponsor but we aren’t using as much of the money as we could. Patrick Johnson is developing a form to get data about the Mentoring Program. There needs to be more accountability on what the mentors are doing.

Some mentees are coming from programs with financial, technology, administrative support but many are “have nots.” Mentees are mostly newspaper or online advisers who feel underappreciated and have major financial concerns.
Goals and Branding – Johnson is hoping the mentoring program will become more visual and have more collaboration with other JEA programs. Mentoring Matters newsletter will no longer be published.

Training – Most of the mentors prefer in-person training. They don’t want digital training. There are some philosophical differences regarding including in-classroom teachers as mentors vs. retired teachers as mentors.

Certification and Community – Encourage celebrating when mentees complete the JEA certification program. Encouraging certification of mentors shows accountability. The current mentors don’t want a badge program.
Our goal is to find a mentor for anyone who needs one.

JEA One Book – Evelyn Lauer
Successes and challenges: Most of the books chosen had author buy-in. Most of the authors have had journalism backgrounds. For a few years, a poll of members chose the book; since then, Lauer has chosen some of them. Tasks for running the program take upwards of 15-20 hours/book (not including reading the book).

Successes: author buy-in (some authors have more time than others)
A book signing at the NCTE convention when the author was from the convention city was popular.
The “1984” session was well attended. New York Times mentioned it was JEA’s One Book.
“Work Happy” tied in as part of Scholastic Journalism Week
Increased student participation during “Work Happy.”

Challenges:
Twitter chat isn’t working. When the authors are ready to chat, members aren’t showing up to participate. This is embarrassing. More participation is needed.)
It’s hard to measure success.

Recommenations:

• Continue OneBook.
  • Conduct survey to get member feedback
  • Feature one book per year but market it both fall and spring.
  • Eliminate Twitter chats
  • Offer sessions tied to One Book selection at fall and spring conventions.
  • Redefine the goal
  • Find ways to increase reader participation (including students).

Other suggestions: Connecting to other JEA programs (Scholastic Journalism Week, convention, media law) would be beneficial. Include students more. Offer talking points for the book like an actual book club. Create a Facebook group.

CTE – Nina Quintana
In Chicago, JEA will offer CTE certification for Adobe software (InDesign, Photoshop, etc.). using a portable computer lab. Expand testing to include Precision Exams which include broadcast, video production, etc. (curriculum based). Quintana suggested using both Adobe Certiport and Precision Exams to show competency in both areas.

Value to students: Proof of competency in specific digital media tools. With the increase accessibility of tutorials and online materials, people teach themselves required skills.
Value to instructors: For teachers who are trying to receive CTE certifications and funding, the Certiport exams are a good option.

Cost: 
Precision Exam: $8 a test

Certiport (Adobe): waiting for a price quote
Good for one year. This would allow JEA to split the exams purchased between fall and spring conventions.
Set it up as preconvention workshop: Suggest keeping fee to $20 to $25.
In addition to the cost of the exams, fees will cover maintenance and updates to portable computer lab.

BPA partnership: At this time, recognition as a CTSO will occur state by state. Offering certifications for students is one of the main factors considered by states, so this opportunity is moving JEA in the right direction.
Will look at how BPA sets it up.
We will continue to work on journalism-based competitions and virtual contest development (Write-off system).
We need more people to engage on this at the state level.

Curriculum – Megan Fromm
More than 30 lessons have been added across all modules since fall (some leaders are still submitting). Fromm asked for recommendations for new lessons to preview.
The committee will update lessons outside the paywall (Curriculum Preview) to entice potential members.
Website traffic data showed many rubrics were downloaded (photo composition, design, feature writing). Top pages viewed include writing, photo, design, law and ethics, slideshows, multimedia broadcast, newsgathering.

2018 model – new positions:
Usability editors – These editors will focus on visualizing the curriculum, creating usable lesson maps, linking contest across lessons, updating and replacing links, soliciting new and diverse examples, and making changes to the way contest is presented. Experience with WordPress required.

Differentiation – These editors will focus on creating content for students with diverse needs, including special education, English language learners and middle school students. Experience teaching diverse populations preferred. One leaders will be hired in each area: ELL, middle school and advanced/gifted and talented.
No one applied for these positions.
The committee is exploring on-demand workbook printing (e.g. Sharebook); using news literacy curriculum as tool to partner with other groups: Poynter’s fact-checking initiative, Newseum; and connecting with certification: MJE candidates contribute to curriculum as an MJE project.

Broadcast Adviser of the Year – Karen Slusher
Trying to find a sponsor for Broadcast Adviser of the Year.

YAOY – Oct. 15, judging done by Nov. 1, announced before winter break so school presentation is earlier and it doesn’t conflict with yearbook company meetings.

JEA/NSPA Partner Project – Val Kibler
The adviser from a previous Partner Project school (Willamina High School) will be taking the CJE exam at this convention.

Garfield County High School in Jordan, Montana (Beth Lawrence, adviser), and St. Cloud (Florida) High School (Laura Guy, adviser) were selected as the 2018 Partner Project schools.
Both principals are supporters of the First Amendment and want their journalism programs to grow. SNO will offer one year free website hosting and an hour of training. The on-site visit in the fall will culminate in a free Saturday workshop for all area advisers and students.
Six schools will get a Partner Project virtual workshop.
* Palo Verde Valley High School, Blythe, California (Paula Johnson, adviser)
* Paul Laurence Dunbar High School, Lexington, Kentucky (Wendy Turner, CJE, adviser)
* Presque Isle (Maine) High School, (Marcie Young, adviser)
* Madison Shannon Palmer High School, Marks, Mississippi (Shenita Key, adviser)
* Cody (Wyoming) Middle School (Stacey Skoric, adviser)
* Souhegan High School, Amherst, New Hampshire (Adam Theriault, adviser)

Certification – Kim Green
Certification testing has become a year-round endeavor, expanding beyond the conventions. In the summer, there will be multiple testing opportunities, and Green expects 12 to 15 candidates to test at summer workshops. Throughout the year, testing is done at several yearbook company meetings, and advisers are invited to test then.

Several people have asked why testing isn’t done online. Green said the organization wants to maintain the integrity of the exams. A PowerPoint on testing strategies will be online soon.

There will be retreat for committee in May 2019.

NEW BUSINESS

Approval of 2018-19 budget – Kelly Glasscock
JEA’s financial philosophy is to have a one-year reserve and to spend the projected revenue.
Convention registration income is projected to increase: (registration fee will increase to $99 in Chicago; for the fall conventions JEA will receive 60 percent and NSPA will receive 40 percent; spring conventions will retain the 50-50 split with NSPA).

Computer lab for CTE testing on site at convention should also bring in additional income.
Motion: To approve the 2018-2019 budget as adjusted.

Line 39: Video production crew expense reduced $5,000 to $10,000. Line 67: Write-off website meeting and testing changed to Write-off development; increased from $3,350 to $8,350. Sarah Nichols moved; Julia Satterthwaite seconded. (passed 7-0)

New Voices Workshop – Lori Keekley
A training module at the Advisers Institute will include the New Voices Workshop, a three-hour hands-on workshop showing people the strategies for getting New Voices legislation passed in their state. Lori Keekley will teach this.
There is no extra charge for those registered for the Advisers Institute. She hopes one to three people per state will attend the workshop. Since a support system is important, there will be a monthly check-in afterward.

NCTE Village – Sarah Nichols
A separate component of NCTE. Tell Us Your Story is a section for NCTE member educators to share their experiences in the classroom. NCTE will publish online. Sarah Nichols encouraged the board to contribute to NCTE Village to get more journalism-related experiences on this site.

JEA Power Hour – Sarah Nichols
This is a time when the board reviews the progress being made on various initiatives. Mike Malcom-Bjorklund tested a presentation about new membership initiative will be launched in the fall.

ADJOURNMENT

Tom Gayda moved and Megan Fromm seconded that the meeting be adjourned. Sarah Nichols adjourned the meeting at 3:20 p.m.
_______
A follow-up meeting via Google Hangout will take place April 19, 2018.

Password Reset
Please enter your email address and press [Return] or [Enter]. You will receive a new password via e-mail.

If you don't receive it within a few minutes, please call (785-532-5532) or email us (staff@jea.org), and we'll be happy to assist you.