JEA selects 11 advisers as Rising Stars
The Journalism Education Association has named 11 scholastic journalism advisers Rising Stars as teachers with five or fewer years of experience already establishing themselves in the field.
Since the award’s inception in 2006, 76 educators have received this award from JEA, the largest national association of scholastic journalism teachers and student media advisers. Many past honorees have gone on to become leaders in the field, guiding award-winning student media staffs and garnering professional honors as well. The awards committee evaluates nominees on involvement at the state and national level, growth in nominees’ advising programs, and quality of the student media they advise.
“The Rising Star Award is a wonderful way to recognize the talents of new teachers and advisers.” said JEA President Mark Newton, MJE, Mountain Vista High School, Highlands Ranch, Colorado. “Journalism teachers and student media advisers work behind the scenes, and this recognition from JEA is a nice reminder to them, their colleagues, their students, their administration and their community that good things are happening because of the talents, ambition and work ethic of this educator.
“The award also is a nice, gentle reminder that we all hope those recognized stay in our profession and get involved,” Newton said.
The 2015 Rising Stars will be honored April 18 at the JEA/NSPA Spring National High School Journalism Convention in Denver. They are as follows:
- Lindsay Benedict, McLean (Va.) High School
- Claire Burke, CJE, Charles E. Smith Jewish Day School, Rockville, Md.
- Erin Castellano, Clayton (Mo.) High School
- William Caulton, Avon (Ind.) High School
- Annie Gorenstein-Falkenberg, CJE, Arvada (Colo.) West High School
- Stephen Hanf, R.J. Reynolds High School, Winston-Salem N.C.
- Matthew LaPorte, CJE, Southwest Career and Technical Academy, Las Vegas
- Emily Pyeatt Arnold, CJE, Haltom High School, Haltom City, Texas
- Kristen Scott, Kealing Middle School, Austin, Texas
- Allie Staub, Westfield (Ind.) Middle School
- Suzi Van Steenbergen, CJE, San Marcos, Calif.