Fall 2012 award winners announced
The Journalism Education Association has announced the 2012 winners of its annual individual fall awards. The recipients will be honored at the Fall JEA/NSPA National High School Journalism Convention in San Antonio, Nov. 15-18.
Robert Greenman, a retired publications adviser and author from New York, won the Carl Towley Award – considered JEA’s highest honor — given each year to the organization’s member whose work has been of superior value to the JEA.
Carl Towley Award
- Robert Greenman, retired publications adviser and author, New York, N.Y.
Administrator of the Year
- Susan Enfield, superintendent of schools, Highline Public Schools, Burien, Wash.
Medal of Merit Award
- Vincent DeMiero, media adviser, Mountlake Terrace (Wash.) High School
- Mary Kay Downes, MJE, media adviser, Chantilly (Va.) High School
- Peggy Gregory, CJE, language arts specialist, Dysart Unified School District, Surprise, Ariz.
Friend of Scholastic Journalism
- The Sacramento (Calif.) Bee
- William Dussling, board member, Township High School District 214, Arlington Heights, Ill.
- Phyllis Fletcher, KUOW Puget Sound Public Radio, Seattle, Wash.
- William Macfadyen, founder and publisher of noozhawk.com, Santa Barbara, Calif.
- Bobby Malish, Canon USA, Dallas, Texas
Lifetime Achievement Award
- Sharleen K. Ball, Omaha, Neb.
- Sam Bidleman, Bloomsburg, Pa.
- Edward Bray, Canon City, Colo.
- Phyllis Cooper, Asheville, N.C.
- Jill Farkas, CJE, Window Rock, Ariz.
- Sue Farlow, CJE, Asheboro, N.C.
- Cornelia Harris, Charlotte, N.C.
- Janice L. Hatfield, CJE, Mount Morris, Pa.
- Yvonne Johnson, Mesa, Ariz.
- Sheila Jones, CJE, Littleton, Colo.
- Joy Lessard, Ellensburg, Wash.
- Susan Miller, Greensboro, N.C.
- Marie Parsons, Tuscaloosa, Ala.
- Janet K. Raddish, Omaha, Neb.
- Steve Slagle, CJE, Walnut, Calif.
- Patricia Turley, Junction City, Ore.
- Kathleen D. Zwiebel, CJE, Pottsville, Pa.