Journalism starts with j
j is a brand new concept that will expand the JEA membership base by allowing for high school student chapters of JEA. j members will pay a $10 annual fee and have access to special materials available only to them.
As we know, the world of journalism is changing and while that scares some folks, we are embracing change and acknowledging that this is an exciting time to be involved with our profession. We want to encourage students to get involved and stay involved.
Student chapters can be as active as they desire. j activities might include fundraisers to help students attend national conventions.
Who can join j?
j is for any student interested in scholastic journalism. When possible, students should join through their school, however students may join on their own at any time. Memberships are active through August of each year and may be renewed as long as a student is in school.
What do I get with j?
j is growing, but this is what we know a membership gets your students so far:
- A special reporters notebook and convention ribbon.
- A chance to earn a $500 scholarship.
- Opportunities to interact with a wide variety of media professionals, higher education teachers and experts in scholastic journalism in an intimate online environment. Ask questions and get personal answers.
- Membership in j provides students with a professional affiliation and an important distinction on applications and resumes, showing their connection to other student journalists nationwide.
- As a j member, your name will be passed along to the best college journalism programs in the country, which helps expand your network and increases opportunities for scholarships, internships and positions on college media staffs.
- Members can purchase the really cool special j member T-shirt.
Joining this year means you will be a charter member of the j organization. Why not become part of what will no doubt be the greatest coalition of student journalists ever assembled in one group?
How do I start a chapter at my school?
We have several promotional items to help you get started. Download this promotional poster, or hand out these postcards to generate some excitement in your school about j. If you are doing a slideshow for a group of students, consider including this slide in your presentation.
Once you are ready to start signing up members,
How do I apply for the j scholarship?
The deadline for applications is March 15. Winners will notified by mail by April 15.
Judges for the scholarship award looked for compelling, thorough, professional and organized answers to application questions.