Outreach Academy is a Journalism Education Association initiative to promote diversity among the journalism teaching profession. The Outreach Academy is a free, intensive seminar for publication advisers who are new to the profession and need help to teach and advise students in journalism. The Outreach Academy is designed to give new teachers of journalism support and resources to succeed. We are interested in help teachers in the most challenging situations, including advisers who
- have five years or fewer advising experience, and
- teach in schools traditionally under-represented in JEA membership, especially low-income, urban and rural schools, or are advisers of color.
The program is hands on and focuses on practical information new advisers need. It includes discussion of teaching journalism to highly diverse populations, effective instructional techniques, resources for teachers in and out of the classroom, and organizations ready to help advisers.
The Outreach Academy takes place in locations hosting the National High School Journalism Convention. The academy has a training seminar on the Thursday before the respective convention.
To apply to be part of the Outreach Academy, please fill out the form here.
[APPLICATIONS FOR BOSTON ARE NOW CLOSED]
Boston Outreach Academy
Date: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Nov. 14, 2013
Location: Sheraton Boston Hotel
San Diego Outreach Academy
Dates: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., April 10, 2014
Location: Hilton San Diego Bayfront
Participants who are accepted to the Outreach Academy and attend the Thursday workshop earn the following benefits, in addition to the instruction received at the workshop:
- Up to $100 in substitute pay to the participant’s school for the Thursday workshop.
- One day parking reimbursement for the Thursday workshop.
- One year’s membership to the Journalism Education Association.
- Waived registration fee to that city’s National High School Journalism Convention, courtesy of JEA and its convention partner, the National Scholastic Press Association.
- Waived registration fee to the 2014 Advisers Institute.