Before sending in your application for the JEA National High School Journalist of the Year, be sure you have all of the following.
- Entry form.
- Official transcript.
- Self-analytical explanation of your “journalistic life.”
- Three or four letters of recommendation.
- Portfolio in a three-ring binder showing examples of your best published or broadcast work.
- Self-addressed, large padded envelope with adequate postage for return of your work.
- Action photo of you doing something journalistic.
- Verification that your adviser is a current national JEA member. You will be disqualified at the national level if your adviser is not a member.
- Entire portfolio should be no more than 46 one-sided or 23 two-sided pages with application materials not to exceed an additional 10 pages. Broadcast tape, limited to 15 minutes, should be cured to the student’s best work.
CLICK HERE for a list of state directors
Once the state winner is selected, please send his/her portfolio so it is received by March 15 to
Journalist of the Year
Journalism Education Association
Kansas State University
103 Kedzie Hall
Manhattan, KS 66506