About the Scholarships
The Journalism Education Association sponsors a $5,000 scholarship fund for current advisers who intend to earn a secondary administrator’s credential/license and seek a position in administration. Each recipient must be a current JEA member and student media adviser who is in or past their fourth year of teaching and advising. The committee may award up to five (5) $1,000 scholarships or choose larger amounts as requested. The award may be renewed one time with a total limit of $5,000 per person.
Each recipient must complete the application, which includes the following:
● A 250-word essay explaining his/her desire to become a secondary administrator.
● Not more than three (3) recommendation letters, preferably from those who have firsthand knowledge of his/her leadership skills and work with student journalists.
● A current resume.
● Appropriate application or other verification of enrollment in an accredited administrative program.
How to Apply
To apply for a Future Administrator Scholarship, fill out this online form. Applications are due Dec. 15. We suggest that you answer the questions in a separate format (Word, Google Docs, etc.) and paste into the application as it does not save in progress. Recommendation letters, resume and verification of enrollment need to be in PDF format before uploading to the application form.
● A committee of teachers and university personnel involved in journalism teacher education will make the selection.
● Scholarships will be announced by mid-January and recognized at the JEA/NSPA Spring National High School Journalism Convention.