Minutes from Apr. 17, 2015 General Membership Meeting

Unofficial Minutes (to be approved in Orlando, Nov. 13, 2015).

GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING MINUTES Apr. 17, 2015, Denver

The Journalism Education Association general membership meeting was held at 8 a.m. Friday, April 17, 2015, in Silver, Mezzanine Level, at the Sheraton Denver Downtown.

I. Call to order — Mark Newton

II. Roll call — Connie Fulkerson

(board members)
Mark Newton, MJE, president; Sarah Nichols, MJE, vice president; Candace Perkins Bowen, MJE, past president; Stan Zoller, MJE, director-at-large; Carrie Faust, MJE, director-at-large; Megan Fromm, CJE, educational initiatives director; John Bowen, MJE, scholastic press rights director

(staff)
Kelly Furnas, CJE, executive director; Connie Fulkerson, CJE, secretary/administrative assistant

(committee chairs, liaisons)
Kim Green, MJE, certification; Jon Rogers, MJE, professional outreach; Evelyn Lauer, CJE, publications/public relations; Linda Barrington, MJE, mentoring; Howard Spanogle, C:JET assistant editor; Joe Humphrey, MJE, Orlando convention chair

(state directors)
Carmen Wendt, MJE, Arizona; Renée Burke, MJE, Florida; Nancy Hastings, MJE, Indiana; Susan Massy, Kansas; Claire Burke, CJE, Maryland; Colleen Simpson, CJE, Massachusetts; Julia Satterthwaite, CJE, Michigan; Laurie Hansen, CJE, Minnesota; Robin Stover, MJE, Missouri; Linda Ballew, MJE, Montana; Marsha Kalkowski, MJE, Nebraska; Matthew LaPorte, CJE, Nevada; Sue Skalicky, MJE, North Dakota; Heather Nagel, Tennessee; Valerie Kibler, CJE, Virginia; Sandra Coyer, MJE, Washington;

(members)
Patrick Johnson, CJE; Scott Duncan, Linda Drake, MJE; Tom Gayda, MJE; Christina Porcelli-Wilson, Ben DeGear, Brian Baron, CJE; Shari Adwers, MJE; Casandra Workman, CJE; Lori Keekley, MJE; Jim Streisel, MJE; Matthew Schott, CJE; Rod Satterthwaite, MJE; Kathy Schrier, MJE; Peggy Gregory, CJE; Adrienne Forgette, MJE; Kristen Harris, Renee Belina

(nonmember)
Jeney Atwood

III. Approval of minutes — Mark Newton

Motion to approve the minutes from the Washington, D.C., general meeting. (passed)
Moved: Carrie Faust; Seconded: Linda Barrington

IV. Reports

A. Summary of board action — Mark Newton

Newton reviewed the motions passed: the change in the affiliate membership, a new whistleblower policy, the 2015-16 budget approval and the signing of a hotel contract for the Advisers Institute in Las Vegas for 2016 and 2017. The board also reviewed progress on goals during its meeting, including a spring convention discussion with some of the NSPA board members. Sarah Nichols, Kim Green, John Bowen and Evelyn Lauer told about those they nominated for commendations.

B. Conventions — Kelly Furnas

Furnas reported that the number of registered delegates was 2,721 as of Friday.

He said contracts have been signed at the Las Vegas Linq Resort and Casino for the 2016 and 2017 Advisers Institute. More meeting space and a $100 or less per night room rate were reasons this location was selected.

C. Financial reports — Kelly Furnas

Furnas said that paid membership stands at its highest level ever. The curriculum is a large part of what is driving the growth.

The Statement of Financial Position had total liabilities and equity at $1,566,444.14 as of March 16, 2015. This does not include all of the income/expenses from the Denver convention.

D. Items of concern, attention, update — officers, directors, chairs

• Newton mentioned 2016 will be the 100th year Pulitzer Prizes have been awarded, and the Pulitzer Prize Board had reached out to see if JEA would like to get involved with a Centennial Campfires Initiative as part of the celebration.

• North Dakota state director Sue Skalicky cheered the passage of North Dakota’s new freedom of expression bill. She was especially appreciative of the work of the Student Press Law Center, its director Frank LoMonte, Mary Beth Tinker, Kathy Kuhlmeier and other who had played a part in getting it passed. She encouraged all in attendance to financially support SPLC for its work. She suggested that if others want to get something passed in their state to plan ahead since it was a three-year process.

• Sarah Nichols told about the Scholastic Press Right Committee’s new Press Rights Minutes — short audio clips on ethics and legal issues. So far, 30 60-second audio clips have been posted to SoundCloud, with more planned. They are accessible through the SPRC website.

• Evelyn Lauer encouraged those in attendance to suggest people who would be good to feature on the “When I’m not Teaching” area of the JEA website.

• Megan Fromm said she met with Department of Education officials when she was in Washington, D.C, and they were sympathetic to scholastic journalism. She hopes to get clarification of FERPA for student media. She would like to know more about the issues others are facing in scholastic journalism so she can reach out to the DOE about them.

• Carrie Faust discussed the work of the Principal Outreach Committee, including a new website principals.jea.org the committee created. She asked members to send in testimonials by and about principals who are especially supportive of student media.

V. New business

A. Matters introduced by members
• Joe Humphrey, local team chair for the 2015 fall convention, invited everyone to Orlando, Nov. 12-15. More information can be found at orlando.journalismconvention.org.

• Motion to commend local Denver committee for its work on the convention. (passed)
Moved: Kim Green; Seconded: Stan Zoller

• Linda Barrington: Eight years ago the Mentoring Program was started at the spring convention. She and Peggy Gregory distributed Mentoring Matters, the program’s newsletter that shows where mentoring is making a difference.

VI. Adjournment

Move to adjourn the meeting. (passed)
Moved: Linda Barrington; Seconded: Nancy Hastings

Meeting was adjourned at 8:55 a.m.

The next meeting of the general membership will be at 8 a.m. Friday, Nov. 13, 2015, at the Walt Disney World Dolphin Hotel.

Password Reset
Please enter your email address and press [Return] or [Enter]. You will receive a new password via e-mail.

If you don't receive it within a few minutes, please call (785-532-5532) or email us (staff@jea.org), and we'll be happy to assist you.