General membership meeting
Nov. 16, 2012
Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center
I. Call to order – Mark Newton
II. Roll call – Lori Oglesbee
Present: (voting members) Mark Newton, president; Sarah Nichols, vice president; Lori Oglesbee, secretary; Jack Kennedy, past president; Sandra Coyer, Region 1; Carrie Faust, Region 2; Gary Lindsay, Region 3; Wayna Polk, Region 4; Brenda Gorsuch, Region 5; Rod Satterthwaite, Region 6; Jane Blystone, Region 7; Kim Green, certification commission; Norma Kneese, multicultural commission; John Bowen, scholastic press rights commission; Tom Gayda, development/curriculum commission; Anita Marie Wertz, junior high/middle school commission
(non-voting members) Kelly Furnas, executive director; Bradley Wilson, Communication: Journalism Education Today editor; Connie Fulkerson, awards committee; Candace Bowen, educational initiatives; Linda Barrington, mentoring committee; Aaron Manfull, digital media; Heather Hanks, j committee; Jim Streisel, national journalism PLC; Rhonda Moore, local chair; Pat Gathright, local chair
III. Approval of minutes. Motion: Jane Blystone. Second: Carol Babineaux. Motion carries.
- Summary of board action – Lori Oglesbee
- Affirmation of electronic votes
- Motion to amend San Francisco contract (no Sunday meeting time; combined Saturday awards time; money back and lowered attrition rate)
- Motion to accept Indianapolis contract (Fall 2016)
- Motion: JEA will seek a one-year extension of its operating agreement with Kansas State University (July 1, 2013 to June 30, 2014) Mark Newton; 2nd Bradley Wilson. Motion carries.
- Motion: JEA will create and disseminate nationwide request for proposals (RFP) for a headquarters host for a contract to begin July 1, 2014. Mark Newton; 2nd John Bowen. Motion carries.
- JEA/NSPA Joint Operating Agreement – Motion to accept contract: Jane Blystone; Second: Brenda Gorsuch
- Motion – Add to Article VII: Committees, Editors and Liaisons: Terms of office for all the following commence May 1 of each election year. They are appointed and can be removed by the president for due cause. All committee and commission members, liaisons and editors must be JEA members in good standing. / Section 5: Commission Members. Commission members are appointed by the commission chair. Members shall be directly responsible to the chair and do not require approval of the board of directors. Move to approve: Sarah Nichols; 2nd Jack Kennedy. (Motion carries)
- Approve a contract proposal from the Westin Bonaventure, Los Angeles to host the Spring 2016 National High School Journalism Convention. Lori Oglesbee; 2nd Sandra Coyer (Motion carries)
- Affirmation of electronic votes
- Conventions – Kelly Furnas
- Mark Newton made note of the hard work Kelly and the office staff does for JEA.
- Financial reports – Kelly Furnas
- Items of concern, attention, updates
- Mentoring – Linda Barrington
- National Quiz Bowl – Brenda Gorsuch
- Scholastic Press Rights – John Bowen
- JEA Making a Difference — Jane Blystone
- Lesson plan uploads – Tom Gayda
- Certification and Adviser Institute – Kim Green
- Education Initiatives – Candace Bowen
- Success story (English teacher taught sophomore English class as a journalism course – 99 percent passed exit exam whereas 88 percent of the rest of the school passed. Her yearbook and newspaper have improved greatly as a result) – Mark Newton
- JOY – Wayna Polk (cutest folder award)
- NJPLC – Jim Streisel
- Outreach Academy – Steve O’Donoghue
- Digital Media Committee – Aaron Manfull
- J committee – Heather Hanks
- Auction items – Cindy Todd and Lori Oglesbee
V. New business
A. Motion to commend local committee especially Rhonda Moore and Pat Gathright. Motion: Linda Barrington. Second: Jane Blystone. Motion carries.
B. Monica Hill warns about the RFP and the ramifications of such an action. This could place JEA in a precarious situation.
C. Commendations – Sarah Nichols
- Michael Hernandez, Digital Media committee – video to be shown Friday (from Mark)
- Don Goble, Digital Media committee (from Mark)
- Matt Rasgorshek, Digital Media committee (from Mark)
- Kelly Furnas, Advisers Institute (from Mark)
- Wayna Polk – JOY revisions (from Sarah)
- John Bowen, Candace Bowen, Mary Kay Downes, Brian Hayes, Kelly Furnas – teacher standards
- Connie Fulkerson – communication (from Sarah)
VI. Adjournment. Motion: Carrie Faust. Second Kim Green. Motion carries.