Leading the way in scholastic journalism & media education since 1924

Minutes from Nov. 17, 2011, board of directors meeting

Board meeting
Nov. 17, 2011
Minneapolis Convention Center
Minutes

I. President Mark Newton calls the meeting to order.

II. Roll call:

Present:

(voting members) Mark Newton, president; Sarah Nichols, vice president; Lori Oglesbee-Petter, secretary; Jack Kennedy, past president;  Sandra Coyer, Region 1 director; Carrie Faust, Region 2 director; Gary Lindsay, Region 3 director; Wayna Polk, Region 4 director; Brenda Gorsuch, Region 5 director; Rod Satterthwaite, Region 6 director; Jane Blystone, Region 7 director; Kim Green, certification commission chair; Norma Kneese, multicultural commission chair; John Bowen, scholastic press rights commission chair; Tom Gayda, development and curriculum commission chair; Anita Marie Wertz, junior high/middle school commission chair

(non-voting attendees) Bradley Wilson, Communication: Journalism Education Today editor; Candace Bowen, JEA Listserv liaison;  Julie Dodd, scholastic press association directors liaison; Logan Aimone, NSPA liaison; Connie Fulkerson, awards coordinator and administrative assistant; Kelly Furnas, executive director; Aaron Manfull, digital media committee; Linda Barrington, mentor program; Nancy Smith, Write-off co-chair

Absent:

Brian Wilson, NCTE liaison (at NCTE convention); Jill Chittum, professional learning community (at PLC workshop here); Steve O’Donoghue, Linda Shockley, Stan Zoller, Outreach Academy (last three at Outreach Academy here); Patty Turley, Write-offs (working on Write Offs)

Local chairs Lori Keekley and Lori Hanson welcome us to their city.

III. Approval of Minutes

• Corrections to Anaheim: Lori’s name spelled wrong.
  • Corrections to Electronic voting: list of those voting.
  • Carrie Faust moves that minutes approved with corrections. Brenda Gorsuch second. Verbal vote passes.
  • Adjustment to agenda: Budget moved ahead of Old Business. Carrie Faust moves that we approve adjustment to agenda. Jane Blystone seconds. Motion passes.

IV. New business

a. Hotel Committee request committee members from general membership.

b. Motion: I move that JEA adopt the new logo that the logo design committee has proposed. Tom Gayda; Second Kim Green. Motion passes.

c. Motion: I move to create a trial photo contest: first year images, a single-image contest for first-year students with the intent to 1) draw younger students to our convention; and 2) allow them to compete against their peers, not the much-more-experienced folks. Bradley Wilson from committee. Motion passes.

d. Motion: I move that in an effort to reduce the number of judges and time needed to judge Write-offs that JEA eliminate comments from the critique and simply identify each entry as superior, excellent, honorable mention or no award. Tom Gayda; Jack Kennedy seconds. Mark refers the motion to Write-Off committee to report in Seattle.

e. Board accepts report on Orlando convention hotel.

f. Committee formed to look at redistricting regional directors.

g. Motion: I move that JEA continue to fund the Cornerstone and First Amendment Press Freedom Award as separate awards. The Cornerstone Award should be funded at $2,500 for one school year. The award should be given for exemplary demonstration of First Amendment principles across the school curriculum. The FAPFA Award would be funded at cost for plaques/year and recognize schools where student media are censorship and prior review free in policy and practice. John Bowen. Second: Carrie Faust. Mark Newton sends it back to the committee for further development.

h. Motion: I would like to propose that JEA partner with the Southern Interscholastic Press Association to sponsor a j-Bowl POP quiz bowl as a j event at future conventions. Question s would be related to current events and media coverage of pop culture and current events. Staffs could enter teams of four for the quiz bowl. I propose a $50 fee per team with SIPA and JEA splitting revenue. Brenda Gorsuch. Mark Newton sends it back to the committee with an outlined plan for a presentation in Seattle. (Call for members from the general membership.)

i. Motion: I would like to propose an advocacy arm for JEA. Aaron Manful. Second: Gary Lindsay. Motion is out of order because the mechanism to achieve this already exists.

j. Motion: I move that we commend NSPA for their noble work in the pursuit of excellence in and viability of scholastic journalism and to reaffirm our commitment to our partnership on this the occasion of their 90th birthday. Lori Oglesbee; Second: Kim Green. Motion passes.

k. Motion: Endorsement committee moves that JEA endorse the annual Al Neuharth Free Spirit and Journalism Conference. Lori Oglesbee-Petter from committee. Motion passes.

l. Motion: Endorsement committee moves that JEA endorse the Teen Voices of Democracy. Lori Oglesbee-Petter from committee. Motion passes. Endorsement committee charged with writing policy about how long endorsements last and what should be endorsed. Also explore what organizations have been endorsed.

m. Motion: Scholastic Press Rights commission moves that JEA strongly urges the language “designated public forums” be used instead of “limited public forums” in student media editorial policies as an educationally sound way to practice and teach scholastic journalism. We also urge student media to include the phrase “student editors make all final content decisions” to show what a “designated public forum” means. John Bowen. Motion passes.

n. Mark Newton will appoint a committee to review board member job descriptions.

o. Motion: Executive Board proposes the noted changes to the bylaws. Mark Newton. Motion passes.

p. Motion: The C:JET committee moves that  JEA President Mark Newton appoint an advisory committee for the JEA magazine.  Brenda Gorsuch. Motion to lay it on the table: Jack Kennedy; No second. Motion to postpone: I move to postpone the motion to the Seattle convention. Jack Kennedy. Second: Wayna Polk. Motion passes.

q. Motion for resolution: Whereas the private business doing business as classmates.com has created a niche scanning old yearbooks; and whereas that business is doing so without consulting putlication students, advisers and school districts who created the book and whereas the business does so without sharing profits with those entities: Therefore be it resolved that JEA encourage classmates.com to work with the schools before making such material available for sale and that the SPRC explore with York publishing companies, the SPLC and other stakeholders the precedent regarding copyright issues of such yearbooks. John Bowen. Second: Gary Lindsay. Motion passes.

Motion for adjournment: Tom Gayda. Second: Wayna Polk