Leading the way in scholastic journalism & media education since 1924

Minutes of the Journalism Education Association General Membership Meeting

Convention Center, Portland, Oregon

•  President Ann Visser called the meeting to order at 8:12 a.m.
  • Past President H.L. Hall called roll. In attendance were:

Ann Visser, MJE, president and Finance Committee chair

Jack Kennedy, MJE, vice president and Scholastic Journalism Week chair

Susan Tantillo, MJE, secretary and Award Committee co-chair

H.L. Hall, MJE, past president

Linda Puntney, MJE, JEA executive director

Connie Fulkerson, JEA administrative assistant

Bradley Wilson, CJE, C:JET and Newswire editor and Technology Committee chair

Carla Harris, MJE, Certification Commission chair

Lori Oglesbee, CJE, Development/Curriculum Commission chair

Mary Patrick, Junior High/Middle School Commission chair

Norma Kneese, MJE, Multicultural Commission chair and Outreach Committee chair

John Bowen, MJE, Scholastic Press Rights Commission chair

Steve Matson, MJE, Region 1/Northwest Regional Director

Ellen Kersey, CJE, Region 2/Southwest Regional Director and Award Committee co-chair

Bob Bair, MJE, Region 3/North Central Regional Director and Publications Committee chair

Susan Roberts, MJE, Region 4/South Central Regional Director

Brenda Gorsuch, MJE, Region 5/Southeast Regional Director

Jane Blystone, MJE, Region 7/Northeast Regional Director and Scholarship Committee chair

Luane Higuchi, Outreach Participant

Jennifer Chavez-Miller, Outreach Participant

Diane Honda, MJE, NCTE Liaison/Assembly Director

Julie Dodd, MJE, Scholastic Press Association Directors Liaison and Nominations Committee chair

Candace Perkins Bowen, MJE, JEA Listserv Liaison

Tom Rolnicki, NSPA Executive Director

• Secretary Tantillo gave a summary of action at the JEA board meeting, April 10, 2003.
  • Blystone moved and C. Perkins seconded that the organization go on record to thank the Portland local committee for the outstanding job it had done in organizing the spring 2003 convention. Motion passed.
  • Wilson said he needs authors for C:JET. He also said this convention will be live on the JEA web site, jea.org.
  • Puntney commended the local chairs and committee for their job in organizing the Portland convention. She said JEA and NSPA officials would visit Denver this summer with a goal of having a convention there in spring 2006 or spring 2007. Washington, D.C. is fall 2003 followed by San Diego in spring 2004.
  • Puntney reported JEA income of $208,841 (including Write-offs) from the Dallas convention and JEA expenses of $80,824.01 for a JEA profit of $128,216.99. Rolnicki said some bad debt would still be collected. Bad debt total of $5,004 is split between JEA and NSPA. There were 5,278 total delegates – 4,754 paid.
  • Puntney presented the July 2002 through February 2003 Profit/Loss with Budget. To date JEA is $375,220.91 short of expected income and $453,634.02 short of expected expenses for the fiscal year. Puntney stressed JEA’s philosophy of estimating income low and expenses high and reminded the board that four months remain in the fiscal year from this report. She also reminded the board a transfer from savings/investments has never been made in the past and she does not expect to have to do that in the 2002-2003 fiscal year.
  • Puntney summarized JEA’s portfolio performance April 1, 2002 to March 31, 2003:Balance on April 1, 2002, was $423,316 and on March 31, 2003, was $392,347 for a loss of $30,969 or 7.32%. Puntney noted our portfolio managers say average losses by all investors in that time were 13%. Overall JEA portfolio performance since changing investment strategy March 31, 2000, has been a gain of 17.4%.
  • Puntney explained that $41.66 of a member’s $45 goes to printing and mailing of publications. Therefore, successful conventions are a must if JEA is to continue to offer a wide range of programs and services.She also provided a breakdown of expenditures by JEA goal as follows:

Goal 1: 48% Provide resources and educational opportunities for professional development of journalism teachers and advisers.

Goal 2: 32% Offer programs which meet a wide variety of member needs.

Goal 3: 4% Support free and responsible scholastic journalism.

Goal 4: 2% Foster an organizational outlook which encompasses diversity, yet builds unity.

Goal 5: 5% Provide leadership in media education.

Goal 6: 9% Recognize outstanding achievement and significant contribution in scholastic journalism.

She told attendees they would receive a detailed report of this information regarding how money is spent in a future publication.

• J. Bowen said court cases to watch for results with impact on scholastic media include

• Wooster High School (Ohio) related to the open forum issue and

Hosty v. Carter (Governors State University in Illinois) related to Hazelwood as applicable to college papers. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit decided on April 10 that public colleges and universities cannot ask to review content in student-edited publications before they are published. In doing so, the court rejected an attempt by the state of Illinois to impose a high school-based censorship standard (Hazelwood) on college student media.

• Hall reported he continues to monitor progress on the AP Journalism class/exam. Lee Jones, College Board director, says his group must first decide whether to continue with all the courses/exams they offer now. That decision may come in May. Then it will decide whether to offer new ones. Hall reminded the group this is a long, slow process and it will need to involve colleges before it can become reality.
  •  Kennedy reminded State Directors of their meeting at 9 a.m. today and Regional Directors of their meeting at 11 a.m. Saturday.
  • Harris reported more CJEs and MJEs would be recognized at Saturday’s luncheon than are listed in the official program. The cutoff date for that copy is early, before approval for all those being honored. Twenty-three new CJEs and five new MJEs will be honored at Saturday’s luncheon along with 19 renewing CJEs and 10 renewing MJEs. Those needing to renew receive a letter with instructions for this at the beginning of their fifth year of certification. Harris hopes to have this application on the JEA website soon. A total of 720 journalism educators have been a CJE or MJE at some time since the program began.
  • Oglesbee wants names of new journalism teachers to match with mentors. So far she has 60 willing mentors and only six teachers seeking a mentor. Her commission is rewriting curriculum in five areas during the next year. She also announced a goal of putting a lesson plan each week on the listserv so she needs lesson plans to use for this program.
  •  Kneese introduced the outreach participants and said she wants names of new advisers of color so she can contact them.
  • Patrick told about the junior high/middle school strand at the convention and highlighted new contests approved by the board to be piloted in Washington, D.C. and San Diego conventions.
  • Blystone reported receiving 36 Journalist of the Year candidate portfolios to judge for the 2003 recipient. This is an increase of four over 2002. She used 14 judges representing all parts of the country. The rubric for the JOY contest portfolios is posted on JEA’s website. Blystone said several candidates organized their portfolios following the rubric. The 2003 winner will receive $5000 and each of four runners up will receive $2000. Katie Pennock, freshman at the University of Virginia and the 2002 JOY winner, is a convention participant.
  • Honda said JEA would sponsor two sessions with a change in focus at the San Francisco NCTE convention in November 2003, in conflict with JEA in Washington, D.C. Honda said JEA would be more successful trying to bring journalism to English teachers rather than trying to appeal to the few journalism teachers who may be there. The first session is by Mark Arax, author and LA Times columnist, who will talk about his work as an investigative reporter and how he crafts his facts to tell as story. Honda intends to promote JEA at the door to this session where she expects more than 100 English teachers to attend. The second session is an Intensive Journalism workshop aimed at AP English Language and Composition teachers as an alternative approach. Presenters are Carol Lange, Fran Sharer and Ron Bennett. NCTE’s fall convention will be in Indianapolis in 2004. Honda is looking for journalism teachers to offer sessions there. She also reported that Mark Goodman, lawyer and executive director of the Student Press Law Center, received NCTE’s Intellectual Freedom Award last November. His acceptance speech included a plea for English teachers to support their journalism colleagues.
  •  Dodd reminded Scholastic Press Association directors of their session from 9-11 a.m. today.
  • Fulkerson said Tom Hallman Jr., Pulitzer Prize winner from The Oregonian, will sign his book, “Sam: The Boy Behind the Mask,” following his keynote address at 1 p.m. today. Tim Harrower, author of the classic “The Newspaper Designer’s Handbook,” signed his book following Thursday evening’s keynote.
  • Hall moved and Kennedy seconded that the meeting be adjourned. Visser adjourned the meeting at 8:47 a.m.
Password Reset
Please enter your email address and press [Return] or [Enter]. You will receive a new password via e-mail.

If you don't receive it within a few minutes, please call (785-532-5532) or email us (staff@jea.org), and we'll be happy to assist you.